Our School

St. Maddern’s School was founded in 1704 by George Daniel, a Penzance businessman, as the Free School of Madron, in order to provide a sound and caring education for local children. His endowment and that legacy continue today, nowadays under the stewardship of a Board of Trustees, who continue to support the development of the school environment and resources.

Since its foundation, the school was replaced in 1847 by a new and improved building. The rebuilding process has continued over the years, with a major development in 1968 and the current modernization project, which commenced in 2005.

Our school is located in an idyllic position, in a lovely village on the edge of the moor, overlooking the whole of Mount’s Bay and St. Michael’s Mount. Our new field, adjoining one of the play areas, has added a wonderful outdoor learning environment, enhancing our scientific and geographical opportunities as well as providing a superb space for sports and games.

St. Maddern’s is a Voluntary Aided Church of England school which serves the village and ward of Madron and all the surrounding areas of Penwith.

We have a long-standing reputation for caring for our children, and for providing the best opportunities for their academic, moral, spiritual and social development.