Maths at Madron Daniel School
Mathematics is a key skill that helps us to make sense of the world around us. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to understand and apply their knowledge to solve real life problems.
The aims of mathematics are to:
• Promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion;
• Promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system;
• Develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts;
• Develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented;
• Explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts;
• Understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life.
At Madron Daniel, we use the White Rose small steps for our long term planning. Teachers use a range of resources to create a personalised lesson for the needs of their class. Each day, the learning is reviewed and adapted to address any misconceptions before moving onto new concepts.